A trash container can store all kinds of waste. If it is poorly maintained, it can quickly turn into a nest for microbes and give off unpleasant odors, especially if waste similar to household waste, organic waste or plant waste is stored there.
Cleaning Trash container: the steps to perfect cleaning:
This week we give you our practical advice for keeping a clean and healthy professional waste management can and avoiding the proliferation of bad odors.
Garbage container: when to clean it?
The frequency of cleaning varies according to your professional sector of activity and the nature of the waste collected. Be sure, however, to do this at least once a week if you have significant amounts of food waste. If possible, clean your garbage container immediately after collection of the waste by the collection services of the local authorities or private service providers.
Garbage container: how to clean it?
What material should I use to clean my trash container?
- bactericidal and fungicidal disinfectant cleaner
- 1 brush broom
- 1 microfiber cloth
What are the steps to clean my trash container?
- Spray the bin and container disinfectant cleaner on the inside walls of the tank (respecting the manufacturer’s conditions of use).
- Scrub with the brush broom .
- Tip the bin on one side and rinse the inside completely.
- Clean the outside of the tank.
- Finish with the cover and the edges using a microfiber cloth.
In addition, with the approach of fine weather and during the hot season, complete the cleaning with a professional insecticide product such as an anti-fly and anti-larvae to avoid maggots.
We will remember :
- To limit the appearance and development of bad odors, let the interior dry completely in the open air or dry with a microfiber broom .
- If the bin is particularly dirty, a high-pressure cleaner (for example: single-phase cold water high-pressure cleaner ) will effortlessly degrease and remove encrusted dirt and drippings.
- Some garbage containers are equipped with a drain plug allowing the evacuation of waste water from the bottom.
- There are also supports specially designed for the maintenance of garbage cans. Very easy to handle, they allow all types of containers to be tilted to make washing and rinsing the tank easier.
Garbage container: how to eliminate bad smells?
- Whenever your trash can has been thoroughly cleaned, use an odor destroying spray.
- You can also use a scented disinfectant cleaner that cleans, sanitizes and deodorizes in one operation.
- Finally, consider natural products. Pour 5 liters of hot water and 30 cl of white vinegar into the trash or dissolve 1 cup of soda crystals per liter of water. Leave on for half an hour and rinse.
Garbage container: how to maintain it?
- Regularly check the general condition of the bin and change parts if necessary: lid , wheel, etc.
- Protect your trash can with a container cover. In addition to preventing residues from accumulating at the bottom of the container, it prevents bad odors from permanently impregnating the inner wall of the tank.
- Place newspaper or cardboard at the bottom of the bin to naturally absorb moisture.
- Place outdoor trash cans in a shaded area. Do not dispose of food waste without having enclosed it in a garbage bag.
- Leave the lid closed.
Read more: Why disinfect and decontaminate?