The instance where the Lotus Notes user needs to shift their emails, contact, etc., into Outlook is primarily due to the migration from Lotus Notes to the Outlook email client. If we talk about Lotus Notes, it is used to the prominent player in the email client segment; multiple well-recognized companies installed it on their premises to communicate to the rest of the world.
However, the launching of MS Outlook poses significant challenges to the Lotus Notes existence.
Today, the user always prefers better functionality and pricing, so the Outlooks fit perfectly into this regard. But exporting data into Outlook is never an easy job. It requires time, expertise, and other resources to perform the export task successfully. Several methods exist to export Lotus Notes email to Outlook which consists of third-party software and manual methods. Before heading towards the solution for the migration, let’s check out some top-most reasons for exportation.
MS Outlook is better than Lotus Notes: Explain the Statement
MS Outlook is far better than the Lotus Notes email client in terms of features, ease of use, user interface, etc. Lotus Notes restrict users to work on multiple accounts simultaneously, whereas Outlook does not have such restrictions. Maintenance cost is one of the essential factors while deciding the email client; Outlook fits perfectly in this case as it is much cheaper than Lotus Notes.
The Lotus Notes is an autonomous or a standalone application that only offers emailing; on the other hand, Outlook comes with the complete MS Office suite. Outlook takes less space than the IBM notes, which does not burden the system memory, hence no significant impact on the system performance.
How to Export Lotus Notes to Outlook?
After having specific knowledge about the reason for the migration, now we will move towards discussing the available methods for the migration. Both manual methods and professional third-party software can assist you to export Lotus Notes email to Outlook, but implementing the manual method has some pre requites. It requires complete knowledge about the procedure application during migration.
Let’s check out the working of one of the manual methods:
Step: 1 Export Lotus Notes emails into CSV file format
- Firstly, you need to open the Lotus Notes application and open the .nsf file.
- After clicking on the File menu, you need to choose the Export option.
- Then you need to select the Export Wizard option to browse the required file to begin the process.
- Now, you need to click on save as a type and pick Comma Separated Value/ Structured Text option.
- You can change the file name and make a click on the Export button.
After furnishing the above steps, you will require to import the CSV into the Outlook application. To do so, check below.
Step 2: Import CSV file in Microsoft Outlook
- First of all, you need to run the Outlook application on the system.
- Once you open Outlook, click on the file menu and select the Open & Export option.
- Choose Import and Export button.
- Select Import from another program and after that select the Next button.
- After that, you need to select Comma Separated Value from several options and click on Next.
- Now, click on Browse to choose the desired file (.csv).
- After the addition of files, you need to select the Next button.
- The next step is to select the required folder of MS Outlook, wherein you need to import data and click on Next.
Professional Method to Export Complete Data of Lotus Notes to Outlook
The conventional method to export Lotus Notes data into Outlook comes with several disadvantages. It does not guarantee data safety, as a single mistake can lead to data loss. Nowadays, the third-party tool is gaining popularity due to various advantages over the manual method. You can consider Shoviv Lotus Notes to Outlook converter tool to securely export Lotus Notes email to Outlook without facing difficulties.
Some Exemplary features of the software:
- Allows loading several large size NSF files and exporting them into Outlook PST without losing their data structure.
- It comes with the filter option, making it easier for the user to include and exclude according to the criteria like message type & item data.
- The software also offers an email translation feature which will be helpful if the user needs to change the email address as per the targeted server email address.
- It enables the user to view the added file before exportation using its preview option.
Users planning or have decided to move to Outlook need to move their data Lotus Notes data into MS Outlook. We have discussed two methods to export Lotus Notes email to Outlook, but the manual method comes with many drawbacks. Utilizing professional third-party software like Shoviv Lotus Notes to Outlook converter is an excellent choice. Additionally, this tool allows users to check the processing of the first 50 items per folder. So, it’s up to you to select the suitable method for the migration.