It is difficult to comply with the personal hygiene measures shown to prevent contagion. Especially for those who present decreased motor and sensory abilities, complemented sometimes by cognitive deterioration. Older adults are much more vulnerable to accidents because of falls while traveling. When disinfecting a residence, be aware and aware of toxic products that can be confused with drinks or medications.
The deterioration of the immune system, together with its particular health problems, requires continuous disinfection and disinfection in nursing homes. Not only from spaces and surfaces, but also from the air in closed environments, to avoid cross-contamination. This can aggravate the health of many of the residents by infections caused by airborne viruses.
The cleaning protocol of a residence differs from that used in other places since there are unusual elements such as beds with anti-fall restraint rails, cranes to lift paralyzed residents, anti-decubitus mattresses, wheelchairs, walkers and seats for showers.
What elements are necessary for disinfection in nursing homes?
It is necessary for the staff to have all the disinfection elements in a nursing home when starting cleaning; some of them are:
Buckets with a double bucket, each, one containing disinfecting products and the other with water for rinsing.
- Mops, scourers and sponges are essential to carry out each disinfection in residences, along with gloves.
- Vacuum machines to remove dust from upholstery and fabrics.
- Garbage bags, to replace waste containers and bins.
Bacteriostatic are equipment installed in toilets that maintain cleanliness and disinfection with each flush.
Ozone generating equipment removes harmful particles suspended in air and increases oxygen levels in enclosed spaces.
- Soap dispensers, to eliminate the resident flora of the hands with disinfection.
Cleaning protocol in nursing homes
When cleaning nursing homes, it is necessary to do it properly. It is essential to develop a cleaning protocol in residences, coinciding with the changes of cold and warm seasons . The personnel who carry out cleaning and disinfection in rooms and bathrooms must know the tasks, products, and schedules.
The cleaning of the toilets must be carried out inside and out by a skilled professional cleaners , not forgetting the drains or safety slots.
Weekly, a thorough cleaning
Every day you have to carry out a total cleaning of the rooms, ventilating for about ten minutes.
Proper handwashing with soap and water is also important, before and after being in contact with an older person. The wash should last 20 seconds and the soap should lather. Hands should be dried with disposable towels.
Proper handwashing with soap and water is also important , before and after being in contact with an older person. The wash should last 20 seconds and the soap should lather. It is necessary to use disposable towels when drying your hands.
If what you are looking for is to hire a professional cleaning company to be in charge of cleaning and disinfecting the residence,, it is advisable to request a quote from at least three different companies. This way you can get an idea of the prices in the area. What is essential is that they detail the service they offer, schedules, how many staff they have, the products and machinery they have.
Recommendations for an effective cleaning and disinfection program in residences
Some measures to consider in geriatric centers to complement the cleaning and disinfection of their spaces are:
- Ventilation of all environments twice a day.
- Install gel alcohol dispensers for residents.
- Clean and disinfect the surfaces of rooms, halls, kitchens, bathrooms and others, including walls up to 1.60 meters.
- Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces such as doorknobs, bed rails, and nightstands more frequently.
- Place informative posters, in visible places of the institution, about hand washing.
- Prepare a record sheet for cleaning and disinfection of the residence.
- Limit the use of common areas to reduce interaction between residents. The use of these spaces can be organized in shifts, with a deep cleaning of the contact surfaces at the end of each shift.